[Solved] Can I Still get a budgeting loan ?  



Can I Still get a budgeting loan ? if so how do I apply ?

Practising Anarchist, Pacifist and Minimalist.


They are now called budgeting Advances.

Get a Budgeting Advance

You can get what is known as a ‘Budgeting Advance’ to help pay for emergency household costs (for example buying a new cooker or for help getting a job or staying in work).

A Budgeting Advance is a loan, and you’ll need to repay it through your regular Universal Credit payments – your payments will be lower until you pay it back.

If you no longer get Universal Credit you will need to repay by other means, such as from wages or other benefit you may be getting.

You’ll be told how much your payments will be reduced by.

What you’ll get

The smallest amount you can borrow is £100. You can get up to:

  • £348 if you’re single
  • £464 if you’re part of a couple
  • £812 if you have children

How much you can get depends on whether you:

  • can pay the loan back
  • have any savings over £1,000 (we will reduce the loan amount we offer to you by £1 for every £1 you have in savings over the £1000 threshold)

How the Budgeting Advance is repaid

Deductions are made from your single monthly Universal Credit payment. The first deduction is made on the day you get your next payment.

You will have to repay the Budgeting Advance within 12 months.

If you move from Universal Credit to another benefit the deductions will usually continue from your payments until the advance is paid off.

If you move off benefits you will receive a letter telling you how much you owe. The letter will ask you to contact DWP Debt Management Contact Centre to arrange your repayments. It is important that you do not ignore this letter. If you don’t make payment arrangements, the DWP can recover the amount you owe by either:

  • contacting your employer (where you have one) to arrange for deductions to be made from your earnings, or
  • asking an independent debt collection agency to collect this money on our behalf (you should deal directly with the independent debt collector to arrange repayment)


To get a Budgeting Advance, you must have:

  • been getting Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or State Pension Credit for 6 months or more, unless you need the money to help you start a new job or keep an existing job
  • earned less than £2,600 (£3,600 jointly for couples) in the past 6 months
  • paid off any previous Budgeting Advances

How to apply for a Budgeting Advance

To apply for a Budgeting Advance contact your local Jobcentre Plus work coach.


**Please note that if you do migrate from a legacy benefit to Universal Credit you will have to wait a full 26 weeks before you can apply for budgeting advance.**

This post was modified 2 weeks  ago 5 times by dboy

Practising Anarchist, Pacifist and Minimalist.


Your Answer


Please Login or Register